We have an unrivalled knowledge and experience of Bribery and Corruption litigation which extends to this jurisdiction and beyond. We have advised and acted in a number of key cases over the years and have delivered training on the new Bribery Act 2010 to professional and lay clients.
Uniquely, we have advised the SFO and SEC on multi-juridictional plea agreements and confiscation proceedings which may arise from any proved case. The latter is a key consideration for any corporate body considering their position. We are often consulted, because of our asset seizure experience and knowledge, to advise on any potential liability that may arise from any corrupt act; often financial penalties are just one part of a company's overall exposure.
Having acted for the State and knowing what considerations will be in the minds of the Prosecuting agency and being able to give clear advice as to what the likely outcome of any proceedings would be, Chambers' has an unrivalled advantage when it comes to pre-charge, post charge and post-conviciton advice.
Our work speaks for itself and includes:
- Turks and Caicos Islands - Chambers have been instructed in an allegation of wide-spread corruption involving the sale of Crown land by the former Prime Minister and members of the Cabinet amongst others. The TIC investigation and Prosecution team was set up after a Commission of Inquiry chaired by Sir Robin Auld who recommended suspicion of the constitution, direct control from London and the formation of a specialist independent prosecuting unit after finding systemic mis-governance and loss of accountability.
- R v Innospec - the prosecution of a UK/US company involved in long-term bribery in Indonesia and Iraq. A key case: it featured joint investigative efforts between the US SEC and the SFO involving plea agreements across the board and high level financial penalties.
- Maybey and Johnson - bribery of officials in Jamaica, Ghana and Iraq (Oil for Food) resulting in multi-million pound fines.
- Balfour Beatty - £2.25m civil recovery order in settlement of corrupt practice allegations involving the construction of Bibliotheca Alexandrina in Egypt.
- Parliamentarians - Advice and representation of a former cabinet minister in a Commonwealth jurisdiction in defence of a corruption allegation.
- Operation Angel - Representation and advice of a major UK plc with proceedings eventually discontinued.
- R v Shepherd - (GCHQ)
- R v Adams - (Plymouth Docks)